Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Same Old Song and Dance

Another rising of the sun, and another ordinary morning at Roy Rogers. People are slowly making their ways inside, drawn by the smell of strong coffee and good chicken. As I sit and observe, I come to realize that, like many other institutions open in the morning, Roy Rogers has a routine they go through every day.
A good portion of the people are in their middle thirties and up. Frederick County utility workers seem to love gathering here, spending time with each other before they embark on their hard day of work. Alot of older people come too, people in their golden years coming to get an early breakfast. The smell of sausage gravy and fresh biscuits is music to my nose, as I come to notice the empty void in my stomach needing to be filled.
Waiting in line, I look at the amount of poeple wearing workboots and company jackets. The man in front of me is getting himself just a little cup of coffee, and then heads off to work. As I order my food, I take a good look at the workers. For how early it is, they're pretty carefree and relaxed, laughing at each other and having a good time.
After sitting down with my order, I can't help but notice most people are getting their food togo as they rush to get to work. I knew that I myself had to go back to class, so I quickly scarfed down my food and headed back to my car. It was nice to get out and see what the morning workforce does to prepare for their day.

6 comments:

  1. Nice observation. It does make sense that a majority of the morning work force would stop at a convenient fast food restaurant to get a bite to grab and go. Most people are busy that time of the day and just need to quench their morning breakfast need. I bet you saw a lot of different career people. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've never eaten at roy rogers so this gave me a good idea of what it would be like in the morning. Good observation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good blog, Justin. You have some very effective descriptions, especially of the diverse groups of people, (The utility workers, the RR staff, and the wise) and their own particular morning tendencies.

    "The smell of sausage gravy and fresh biscuits is music to my nose, as I come to notice the empty void in my stomach needing to be filled." Great line! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought peoople would actually go to Roy's in the morning, but i guess i was wrong. You did a very good job noticing your surroundings and what they were wearing. I really liked how you used "music to my nose" instead of the ussual, "music to my ears". Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked how cavalier you seemed during the observation. It helps the writing seem more like a journal entry, which helps us readers to really picture it. Again, good descriptive language.

    ReplyDelete