Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Sex or Violence?

Sex or violence? This is a ad that could be seen as controversial in two different ways. Could it be a reference to oral sex, or rather to the idea that the sandwich is a gun? In my opinion, my thoughts are leaning more towards oral sex, based on the sole fact that the name of the sandwich is named "the seven incher".

Really, it can be controversial based on which way you look at it. But regardless, as funny as this ad may be, does this need to be seen by children? Not to mention the fact that people of the more serious type may not find this amusing at all when they see this ad sprawled out on a wall somewhere. Woman may also see this ad as demeaning to woman in a sexual way, and that's not fair for women to be viewed publicly in this way.

As far as effectiveness goes, I'm not exactly sure how many people are going to want to eat a sandwich called the seven incher. Personally, I don't find it very appealing to me. However, putting the name aside, men may find this ad sexually appealing and might possibly pay a visit to bk.

So whichever side people try to take on whether or not this picture is controversial, you have to admit that it's going to raise more than a few eyebrows. Whether it's sex or violence, it is most certainly something to debate about.

7 comments:

  1. i agree with your opinion on this ad. i also view it to be offensive to women, and if i were a guy i wouldnt want to orber a seven incher with this poster on a wall right beside me. Good job on expressing yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree 100 percent with Fatima, this could be offensive to woman the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this and other remakes of this through out the internet, and all it goes to in the eyes of the men that pay attention to from these sites is the oral act. Therefore I agree with you entirely with this. It is show disrespect towards women and honestly it is not even a good sandwich. So boo at Burger King for this. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I find this image extremely offensive. I hope whoever designed this image got fired. And you're right, it could be a reference to either oral sex or suicide, making the advertisement even more disgusting. Very controversial. Good job, Justin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a girl, I was pretty offended when I first saw this image. Immediate thought was oral sex. Gross! It's completely inappropriate and I never would have never expected such an ad from Burger King of all places! This picture is very controversial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This image is so far beyond inappropriate and indeed is very controversial, on obvious reference, in my opinion, to sex. I can see where this is demeaning to women, which is offensive in itself. In addition, as a guy, does that mean I want to put a "7-incher" in my mouth? Does that imply that im gay? That's why it feel the advertisement is ineffective in selling a product and is probably more concerned by making controversy then selling it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete